Yallambee Logo Menu

Entry into aged care

Entering into aged care can be a confusing and overwhelming time. Here, we outline some of the steps and requirements that will help you get the care you need.


The first step is to be assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). The assessment is free, and it can be arranged by speaking to your GP, health care centre, local hospital or you can contact our local ACAT team directly through Latrobe Community Health Service on 1800 242 696 or via the My Aged Care website.

This will detail your specific care needs and determine your level and type of care upon entry into Margery Cole Residential Care Service.


Once your application for residential aged care has been approved by the ACAT team, you can apply at Margery Cole . When you contact us we will send you out one of our information packs and make an appointment with us to take a tour of our facility and sit down with our admissions team, this will give you an idea of what is available and whether you think you would feel comfortable being a resident here. You will need to bring your ACAT assessment (my aged care support plan), copy of any enduring power of attorney documents and the completed application for admission booklet with you to the appointment.

Funding Support

The Australian Government subsidises a range of aged care services in Australia. If your personal circumstances allow, it is expected you’ll contribute towards the cost of your care if you can afford to do so. Moving into an aged care home may require one-off payments or deposits, as well as ongoing fees for your care, accommodation and daily living expenses.

How much you pay depends on your financial situation. However, there are strong protections in place to make sure that care is affordable for everyone. The Australian Government sets the maximum fees for care and daily living expenses, and there are also rules about how much you can be asked to pay for your accommodation.

What you will pay will be set out in a Resident Agreement between you and Yallambee.

What types of fees are there?

You may be asked to pay one or more of the following fees in residential care:

There are annual and lifetime caps in place to limit the amount of the means-tested care fee you will need to pay

Room Types

There are a number of different room options at Margery Cole. These are each detailed in the following attachments, along with the full costs associated.


You may want to consult with a financial adviser about your finances. There are various government services and resources that can help you obtain appropriate financial advice. It’s a good idea to do some research to see what options work best for you.

Centrelink and the Department for Veterans Affairs also have a financial information service which provides free advice about the rules related to aged care fees and charges, and how they affect pension payments or superannuation.

You can contact them online or over the phone:

For more information on aged care please visit the My Aged Care website.

Feel free to get in touch with us to arrange a tour.

Subscribe to eNews